Toggle menu

Rent a room in your home

Some tenants don't need to ask for our permission to have a lodger. If you're unsure whether you can have a lodger, please complete our online form to request permission to rent out a room to check with us.

Lodgers rights

A lodger doesn't have rights to any part of your property, which means you (the tenant) have the right to enter any room used by a lodger. Advice on taking in a lodger can be found on the Citizens Advice website (opens new window).

Apply for permission to rent out a room

If you are a tenant of a council property and have a spare bedroom, you can ask for our permission to rent the spare bedroom to a lodger. As a tenant, you can request permission to rent a spare room to a lodger even if you claim housing benefit. 

If permission is given for you to have a lodger in your home, their behaviour is your responsibility as part of your tenancy agreement with us.