Tenant contents insurance
Contents insurance for tenants
You are responsible for ensuring you have home contents insurance.
If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It's a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one. Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there's always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.
Contents insurance usually covers things like:
- furniture - dining table and chairs, beds, sofas, wardrobes
- entertainment - DVDs, CDs, video games, books
- kitchenware - pots, pans, cutlery, small appliances (kettle, toaster, microwave etc)
- soft furnishings - curtains, carpets, bedding, cushions
- electrical items - TV, DVD player, games consoles, laptops and computers, washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge freezer
- other - toys, ornaments, antiques, clothes, jewellery.
To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy. The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.
Crystal Insurance Scheme for tenants
- Call your local housing officer to request an application pack
- Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286
- Alternatively, please visit Crystal Insurance website for more information or to request a call back.
We are responsible for ensuring your property is covered for buildings insurance, which generally covers things like the roof, walls, ceilings, doors, windows, fitted kitchens and bathrooms. This list is a summary and is not exhaustive.