Tenant contents insurance

Contents insurance for tenants

You are responsible for ensuring you have home contents insurance.

If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It's a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one. Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there's always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind. 

Contents insurance usually covers things like:

  • furniture - dining table and chairs, beds, sofas, wardrobes
  • entertainment - DVDs, CDs, video games, books
  • kitchenware - pots, pans, cutlery, small appliances (kettle, toaster, microwave etc)
  • soft furnishings - curtains, carpets, bedding, cushions
  • electrical items - TV, DVD player, games consoles, laptops and computers, washing machine, tumble dryer and fridge freezer
  • other - toys, ornaments, antiques, clothes, jewellery.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, we have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy. The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Crystal Insurance Scheme for tenants

The Crystal Insurance Scheme is a product name arranged and administered by Thistle Tenant Risks, a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington's Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is part of the PIB Group. For information about what we do with personal data please see our Privacy Policy.

Buildings insurance

We are responsible for ensuring your property is covered for buildings insurance, which generally covers things like the roof, walls, ceilings, doors, windows, fitted kitchens and bathrooms. This list is a summary and is not exhaustive.