Being away from home
It is important that you tell us when you will be away from your home for more than 28 days. Please contact us and provide:
- dates when you will be away
- name and contact details of an emergency key holder.
If you haven't told us that you are away, we could assume that you have abandoned your home and no longer wish to live there.
Whilst you're away from home
Rent is still due whilst you are away and it is important that you make sure it continues to be paid. In certain circumstances, you can get housing benefit if you're away from home temporarily. To qualify you must:
- expect to return home within the time allowed for your situation
- not rent out your home while you're away.
The length of time you can get housing benefit for depends on the reasons you're away and whether you travel abroad. Examples of when you can get housing benefit for up to 13 weeks include if you:
- go on holiday
- stay with friends or family
- are in prison serving a sentence
- move into a care home on a trial basis to see if it meets your needs.
It's also important that you make sure the garden continues to be maintained whilst you are away.