Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

If you are of working age and wish to claim help with your rent, you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit. This must be done online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit. You will still need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Support.

Housing Benefit can pay for all or part of your rent. The amount you will get depends on your income and circumstances.

Council Tax Support (formerly Council Tax Benefit) is a reduction in your Council Tax bill based on your income and circumstances

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support will normally be awarded from the Monday following the date we receive your application form.

Universal Credit is being rolled out in stages across the UK and is replacing Housing, and other benefits. If you fall into a group that needs to claim Housing costs through Universal Credit you can Apply for Universal Credit via gov.uk.

Am I Entitled?

Whether you are entitled to Council Tax Support depends on our local Council Tax Support scheme, who is in your household, your circumstances and your income and capital.

Please use the online South Holland Council Tax Support Calculator to see if you may be entitled to Council Tax Support. 

How do I claim it?


If there has been a good reason which stopped or delayed you applying for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, then you can ask for your application to be backdated.

For working age customers (under the qualifying age for State Pension):

We can backdate your claim for up to one month before the date of your backdate request. You must have good reasons for not claiming sooner. The good reasons must last throughout the whole period that you are asking your application to be backdated for.

For Pension Age customers (those who have reached the qualifying age for State Pension):

We can sometimes start your claim for up to three months before the date we received your application. You do not have to request this, and do not have to give us reasons

How long will my claim take?

We aim to process your claim as quickly as possible. Our Target is to clear claims within 15 days. The quicker you provide all the information we need, the quicker you will receive your money.

Other benefits you may be entitled to:

To find out if you are entitled to any other benefits please use the South Holland Benefits Calculator 

View your benefit claim online

You can log in to e citizen to see

  • How much you are getting
  • How we have worked this out
  • When your next payment will be made
  • The date and amounts of payments already made
  • Letters we have sent you
  • Overpayments that have been billed to you

Discretionary Housing Payments:

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are extra payments of Housing Benefit.

If your Housing Benefit is less than the full amount of rent that you pay you may be eligible to claim one.

To request a form please contact us via Contact us. Or download a form: Icon for pdf Discretionary Housing Payment Form [194.52KB]

2020/2021 DHP Policy Icon for pdf SHDC DHP POLICY 2020/2021 [246.02KB]

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. View our National Fraud Initiative web page

We are committed to protecting public funds and have a dedicated Fraud Investigation Team to prevent and detect any fraudulent claims.
Share your views on our proposed Council Tax Support (CTS) Scheme for 2021/22.
Your privacy is very important to South Holland District Council.