Toggle menu

Housing Benefits overpayments

If you have been paid more housing benefit than you are entitled to, we will contact you to tell you about it and to arrange repaying the overpaid amount. 

Repaying housing benefit overpayment

We may be able to make a payment arrangement with you if you are can't afford to pay the full amount of the overpayment straight away. Please contact our Overpayments Team on 01507 329199 as the sooner you contact us, the more likely it is that we can help you. There are a number of ways that you can pay back an overpayment of housing benefit, which are outlined below. 

Please do not send cash through the post.

Deductions from housing benefit

If you are still receiving the benefit, we can make deductions from your housing benefit entitlement.


Repayment can be made online (opens new window) using a credit or debit card.

By phone

You can call 0345 340 9310 to make a payment using our automated payment line. Payments can be made by credit or debit card, 24 hours a day. Please have your invoice number and card details ready.

Online banking

If you want to pay directly from your bank account, you will need the following details:

  • Sort code: 30-00-00
  • Account Number: 00211567
  • Account Name: South Holland District Council
  • Reference: please quote your invoice number when making payments.

Cheque or postal orders

To pay by cheque or postal order, they should be made payable to 'South Holland District Council' and sent to:

  • South Holland District Council
    Priory Road
    PE11 2XE
  • Please write your invoice number on the back of your cheque.

Post dated cheques will not be accepted.

Deductions from earnings

Direct Earnings attachment Employers Guide (PDF) [97KB]