Universal Credit

If you are on a low income or out of work you may be able to claim Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of other benefits including Housing Benefit.

If you are a working aged resident in South Holland living in the following postcode areas from the following dates:

18th October 2017- Stamford JCP: PE10, PE6 8

15th November 2017- Peterborough JCP: PE6 9

11th July 2018- Spalding JCP: PE11 1, PE11 2, PE11 3, PE11 4, PE11 9, PE12 0, PE12 2, PE12 6, PE12 7, PE12 8, PE12 9, PE6 0

12th September 2018 - Wisbech JCP: PE13 4, PE13 5, PE14 7

12th September 2018 - Boston JCP: PE20 3

14th November 2018- Kings Lynn JCP: PE34 4

You will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

To find out if you are eligible, use the Universal Credit Postcode Checker

You will still need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Support

If you are a pensioner, you can still apply for Housing Benefit.

What is different about Universal Credit?

It will be paid into your bank account in one monthly payment.

Help with housing costs will be included, so you may have to pay your landlord yourself.

Most claims will be made and managed online.

Managing your Money

If you are not used to managing a monthly household budget, the Money Advice Service Budget Planner can help you take control.

You'll receive your first Universal Credit payment around 5 weeks after you've applied. If you won't have enough money to live on, you can ask for an advanced payment.

Paying your rent should always be your priority. If you owe rent or struggling to pay, ask if housing costs can be paid directly to your landlord.

South Holland District Council tenants have multiple ways of paying their rent. Please visit  for a list of ways to pay.

To find out more about Alternative Payment Arrangements, ask at your local Job Centre or call the Universal Credit help line.

Getting Online

You will need an email address to make and manage a Universal Credit claim. There are a number of free web-based email services that you can use.

You can access your account on a tablet, smartphone or computer. If you do not have access to a computer or internet, there are places where you can go to get help. Our free access computer map can help you find out what's near you. 

The Universal Credit helplines are free to call.  If you have an online account, please call 0800 328 5644, if you don't have an account call 0800 328 9344.