Toggle menu

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Online

To claim Housing Benefit you must:

  • be of state pension age; or
  • you live in specified accommodation; or
  • you are homeless and the council has placed you in temporary accommodation; or
  • you are part of a couple, one of you has reached state pension age and you were in receipt of state pension credit (as a couple) before 15 May 2019.

What you will need to claim Housing Benefit:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your National Insurance Number
  • income and savings proof for all relevant household members
  • household circumstances

To claim online please use the Online claim  e original documents, so please do not submit the evidence required in support of your claim online. You will need  to make alternative arrangements to supply us with them.

You will need to apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit if you do not meet the above criteria. This must be done online at You will still need to make a separate claim to us for Council Tax Support.

To find out if you are entitled to any other benefits please use the Benefit Calculator

To view your benefit claim online you can log into your your Self Serve Account (opens new window) account.

A fillable form is available in the related documents section below, simply download it, complete it and return it. 

    Discretionary Housing Payment (PDF) [160KB] can provide extra money to help you meet your housing costs.

    This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you  provide for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, click on the link here