Renew a Taxi Driver Licence
We must receive the completed renewal application form and all documentation before your current licence expires. If you fail to meet the renewal deadline you will be required to make a new application for a taxi driver licence.
We no longer send renewal packs. Please download the forms from the relevant taxi licensing pages.
To renew your taxi driver licence, all applicants are required to:
- complete and return a
- pay the fee which will be £106
- provide your DVLA Driving Licence (original, not a photocopy) showing your current address
- provide a , which must be completed by the applicant's own General Practitioner. You will also be required to have further medical examinations every year when you reach the age of 65
- provide one colour passport type photograph, taken within the last month
- provide the code for DVLA driving licence check - visit GOV.UK to see how you can view or share your driving licence information
- provide documentation to prove that you have the right to work in the UK
- information on what documentation is required can be found on our
- provide a sign off slip from the for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers.
- provide original documents for your DBS application - see the for help with this
To carry out your enhanced DBS check we use a company called APCS. On application or renewal, we will provide you with their portal website address and a unique user ID number. You can then log on at your convenience to complete the application which should only take a few minutes. As before, you will need to have the following information on hand:
- Full name history
- Five-year address history with postcodes, including any foreign addresses
- National Insurance number
- Passport details
- UK driving licence details
If you have any questions about your application, there is online help, and the helpline telephone number is on every screen.
On completion of the online form, you will receive an email confirmation.
When you have completed the form, the licensing team will be notified by email automatically and we will be in touch to arrange to verify your identity by checking your ID documents. This is to enable us to verify your name, date of birth and current address, in line with DBS requirements.
Your application is then electronically sent to the DBS who will process your application.
The Licensing Team will be given an indication of the result of your application which will be either "Certificate contains no information", or "Please wait to view applicant certificate". You will be sent a copy of your DBS certificate by post. If the result we receive is "certificate contains no information" we will be able to continue processing your driver application straight away. However if the result we are notified is "Please wait to view applicant certificate", we will be in touch to ask to see the paper copy. This will enable us to make a decision in line with our Taxi Licensing Policy.
The cost for the DBS application is £48 + vat which is payable online to ACPS at the time of making your application. This is made up of the enhanced DBS fee (£40) and the APCS admin fee (£8). You will be prompted to make a credit or debit card payment online at the time of your DBS application.
We would encourage you to use the DBS update service which can be applied for on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service . This costs £13 a year and can be applied for in conjunction with an enhanced DBS check. You can do this either while you are waiting for the check to come back or within 30 days of the issue date on the certificate.
Renewal applications will not be accepted without the production of the above stated supporting evidence and completed form(s).
You can return your renewal application and supporting documents to us by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by posting them to us at the below address. You should return your application to us before making an appointment to complete your DBS application.
South Holland District Council
Please note: It is a criminal offence to drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licensed by South Holland District Council without a hackney carriage/private hire drivers licence issued by South Holland District Council.