Private Hire Vehicle
A Private Hire Vehicle can only be pre-booked and is not able to be hired from the street or a taxi rank.
It is illegal for a driver to refuse to carry a guide or assistance dog unless the driver has a medical exemption certificate issued by us. Drivers that refuse to carry a guide or assistance dog and do not have an exemption certificate could face a fine of up to £1000 following a conviction at the Magistrates Court.
All Hackney Carriages, private hire vehicles and operator's booking offices are required to be smoke-free, please read our.
Some of our requirements to consider when licensing your vehicle as a private hire vehicle are:
- once a vehicle is licensed as a private hire vehicle it can only be driven by a driver licensed by us
- you are unable to drive a licensed private hire vehicle, unless you are licensed as a driver by us
- our become a taxi driver page explains how you are entitled to drive both a Hackney Carriage and private hire vehicle
- the vehicle:
- must be suitable for licensing as a private hire vehicle
- have at least four seats
- have a fire extinguisher on board
- cannot have a roof or boot rack installed
- must be tested at one of our approved garages and have a current Certificate of Compliance
- must have a valid certificate of insurance which must cover the vehicle for use as a private hire vehicle
- must be licensed to work under a private hire operator
- a fee of £180 is payable, as detailed on the application form.
Executive private hire vehicles
We will licence Executive Private Hire Vehicles which are issued with an internal sticker, rather than a plate, if the vehicle meets the.
To apply for an executive private hire licence please complete the.
Please note: there is an extra fee of £30 for this type of licence application. Total application fee for executive private hire is £210.
Apply for a private hire vehicle licence
If you are happy to licence the vehicle as a private hire vehicle, please complete and return the.
The following documents can be brought into the Council Offices, Customer Services will check off the documents, seal them into a secure bag and give you a receipt.
The following supporting documents can be brought into the Council Offices (address below) with your application. Customer services will then check the documents, seal them into a secure bag and give you a receipt. You can also post or email the application and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed application form and
- vehicle registration documents
- vehicle insurance for private hire
- certificate of compliance
- LOLER Certificate, if applicable.
are attached to the licence.
Please note that applications will not be accepted without the above supporting documents being produced.
South Holland District Council