Toggle menu

Taxi licensing

Taxi Licensing policy

View our Hackney Carriage and Private Hire licensing policy (PDF) [454KB] (opens new window) .

At the meeting of the Licensing committee on 15th July 2021 it was agreed that some changes would be made to the Taxi Licensing Policy to reflect the new National Standards for Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles

Members of the Committee agreed an immediate change to the policy on the self-reporting of convictions, penalty notices, endorsements and or cautions, from 7 days to 48 hours.  Appendix F of the current policy should therefore now read:

"The driver shall notify to the Council details in writing within 48 hours of any convictions, penalty notices, endorsements and/or cautions imposed on him/her during the period of the licence."

Members also agreed to adopt, with immediate effect, the Criminal Convictions and Rehabilitation Assessment of Previous Convictions as set out in section 5.15 and the Annex to the Standards


Tax Checks for Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers and Private Hire Operators

HMRC requires a  tax check that will take place when people renew their licences to drive hackney carriages, drive and operate private hire vehicles. 

This service has been created so that everyone pays the tax they should. HMRC is working with industry bodies to make this as straightforward as possible. The check should take a few minutes to complete to confirm that someone is correctly registered for tax.

You will need to complete a tax check when you apply or renew your licence as a:

·     driver of a taxi (hackney carriage) (dual licences)

·     driver of a private hire vehicle (dual licences)

·     private hire vehicle operator

Please read this tax check factsheet to understand what is required, as this will apply to all renewals and new applicants. 

Find further information at Guidance on how to complete a tax check for a hackney carriage or private hire licence.


Approved garages

View the list of approved local garages (PDF) [15KB] (opens new window) .

If you require further information, or wish to make a complaint about a taxi vehicle, driver or operator, please get touch using our general licensing enquiry service.