Hackney Carriage Vehicle
A Hackney Carriage Vehicle can be hired from a taxi rank, hailed in the street or can be pre-booked.
Some of our requirements to consider before licensing your vehicle as a Hackney Carriage are:
- Once a vehicle is licensed as a Hackney Carriage Vehicle it can only be driven by a driver licensed by South Holland District Council
- You are unable to drive a South Holland District Council licensed Hackney Carriage Vehicle unless you are licensed as a driver by South Holland District Council
- Our Become a Taxi Driver page explains how you can drive both a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle
- Your vehicle insurance must include cover for Hackney Carriage Vehicles
- The vehicle must be suitable for licensing as a Hackney Carriage Vehicle
- The vehicle must have at least 4 seats
- The vehicle must have a fire extinguisher on board
- The vehicle cannot have a roof or boot rack installed
- The vehicle must be wheelchair accessible
- The vehicle must be less than five years old
- The vehicle must display a 'SHDC taxi' top light and have a fare meter installed
- The vehicle must be tested at one of our approved garages and have a current Certificate of Compliance
- The vehicle must have a valid Certificate of Insurance which must include the words 'public hire' or 'hackney carriage'
- A fee of £206.00 is payable, as detailed on the application form
It is illegal for a driver to refuse to carry a guide or assistance dog unless the driver has a medical exemption certificate issued by the Council. Drivers that refuse to carry a guide or assistance dog and do not have an exemption certificate could face a fine of up to £1000 following a conviction at the Magistrates Court.
All Hackney Carriages, Private Hire Vehicles and Operator's Booking Offices are required to be smoke-free, please read our information and.
are attached to Hackney Carriage Vehicle licences.
How do I apply?
If you are happy to licence the vehicle as a Hackney Carriage, please download the firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.. If you would prefer the documents to be posted to you, please contact us on 01775 761161 or email
The following documents can be brought into the Council Offices, Customer Services will check off the documents, seal them into a secure bag and give you a receipt.
- Completed application form and correct fee
- Certificate of compliance
- Vehicle Registration document
- Vehicle insurance for public hire
Applications will not be accepted without production of the above.
You may want to licence your vehicle as a Private Hire Vehicle, are you aware of what is the difference between a Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle?.
If you require further information or are unsure if you need a licence please contact us on 01775 761161 or email email@example.com