Toggle menu

Street Trading Consent

Since March 2013, we consider all streets in our area as 'consent streets' in relation to street trading controls. A consent street is a place where street trading can only take place if our consent has first been obtained. Street trading designation of consent streets legislation can be viewed on schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (opens new window).

Street trading is defined as the selling, exposing or offering the sale of any article, including a living thing, in a street. For the purposes of this requirement, the term 'street' means any:

  • road
  • footway
  • beach
  • other area to which the public have access without payment.

Details about street trading in our district, how we handle applications for consent and enforcement can be found in our  street trading policy (PDF) [58KB] (opens new window) .

Please be advised for any applications completed paying by cheque is discouraged as this will delay the process.

Apply for street trading consent

Anyone who wishes to operate as a street trader in South Holland will be required to hold a valid Street Trading Consent. Also, if a vehicle or stand is to be kept in a location overnight, you will need to contact our planning department to get approval.

It is an offence to operate as a street trader without prior approval.

  • You will need to complete a  street trader application form (PDF) [193KB] (opens new window)
  • New applications should submit a  fee of £541 and copies of appropriate supporting documents, as noted within the application form
  • Renewal applications for consent will need to submit a  fee of £515
  • Seasonal sellers can apply for a monthly licence and the fee for this is £104 (per month, non refundable).
  • We will contact Lincolnshire County Council Highways upon receipt of an application to determine if the proposed siting of a pitch is suitable. 

Apply for ice cream street trading consent

Apply for one-off event street trading consent 

Commercial events are usually organised by a person or group to make money, even if the purpose is to raise money for a good cause. In events such as these the Event Organiser will apply for a one-off street trading consent. 

Trading at fundraising events

Street collection provisions may apply where a charity intends to undertake fundraising activities that involve the sale of goods. In this case, a combined street collection permit would be applicable. No fee is payable and details on how to apply can be found on our charity collections web page. 

Please note that anyone intending to sell food may also need to register with us where the vehicle, trailer or stall is usually parked overnight. Further details on registration can be found on our food business web page.

If you require further information please get in touch using our licensing general enquiry contact form.