Toggle menu

Alcohol and entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003 affects anyone concerned with:

  • pubs and nightclubs
  • private member clubs and social clubs
  • off-licences
  • restaurants that serve alcohol
  • indoor sporting events
  • hotels, guest houses and other places that sell alcohol
  • businesses offering hot food between 11pm and 5am
  • theatres and amateur dramatic groups
  • cinemas
  • organisers of occasional entertainment.

Under the Licensing Act 2003 a premises licence is required where any Licensable activities are taking place.

Licensable activities are:

  • To sell alcohol by retail.
  • If you are a qualifying club, to supply alcohol to a club member, or to sell alcohol to a guest of a club member.
  • To provide regulated entertainment.
  • To sell late night refreshment.

These Licensable activities may only be carried on under, and in accordance with, one of the following:

A Designated Premises Supervisor must hold a Personal Licence and is the person specified on the Premises Licence who is responsible for authorising the sale of alcohol. This person must be readily identifiable and will normally be given day-to-day responsibility for running the premises.

The Act itself sets out key licensing objectives that must be promoted by the Council, as the licensing authority, in carrying out its duties under the licensing system. The licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder.
  • Public safety.
  • The prevention of public nuisance.
  • The protection of children from harm.

Licence holders, South Holland District Council and Responsible licensing authorities must all work together to promote these objectives.

The council has prepared a Licensing Policy which must be reviewed every five years, or sooner if necessary. The purpose of the policy is to set out the approach that the licensing authority intends to take when determining applications and carrying out its duties with regard to regulation and enforcement.

The Final Statement of Licensing Policy approved by Full Council is available on our licensing policy statement page.

There is currently no cumulative impact policy in place in the South Holland District Council area.

A register of all South Holland District Council licensed premises can be found on our . We also have guidance on how to use the public register (PDF) [453KB] (opens new window) .

View our Licensing Act general information for further information around alcohol and entertainment licences.

If you require further information please use the Licensing general enquiry.