Personal Licence

A Personal Licence authorises an individual to sell or supply alcohol from a licensed premises.  A Personal Licence is not required if only conducting the other licensable activities (regulated entertainment or provision of late night entertainment) in a licensed premises.

Not every person retailing alcohol at a licensed premise needs to hold a Personal Licence, but every sale or supply of alcohol must be made by or authorised by a Personal Licence holder (with the exception of community premises, church halls and village halls, please see Disapplication of Designated Premises Supervisor for further information). You must apply for a Personal Licence from the local authority where you live (which may not be where the licensed premise is).

From 6 April 2017 a personal licence may not be issued to an individual or an individual in a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership who is resident in the UK who:

  • Does not have the right to live and work in the UK: or
  • Is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensing activity.  You can do this by providing with your application copies, or scanned copies, of the required documents listed within the application form or by providing a 'share code' from the Home Office online right to work checking service

Please select from the options below:

Application for a Personal Licence

Change of name or address for Personal Licence holder

Renewal of a Personal Licence

Application for a personal Licence

A Personal Licence costs £37.00 and does not have an expiry date, unless surrendered, suspended or revoked.

If you wish to apply for a Personal Licence please complete and return our Icon for pdf Personal Licence Application form [65.84KB] you must also enclose:

  • Accredited Personal Licensing Qualification certificate.  Before applying for a Personal Licence you must hold the relevant qualification to ensure you are aware of the Licensing laws and the social responsibility attached to the sale of alcohol.  There are also a number of  Personal Licence Qualification Providers accredited by the Secretary of State.
    You are able to do online training for a personal licence through EHC Service.  Further information on EHC can be found here
  • Two passport sized photographs, one must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor, notary, lecturer or other professional person (Icon for pdf Photograph Endorsement Form [55.11KB]
  • Please enclose the fee of £37.00 as detailed on the application form.

The Personal Licensing Qualification Certificate and Disclosure Certificate must be originals, we do not accept photocopies.

Please note you must be at least 18 years of age to be a Personal Licence holder.

It is an offence to knowingly or recklessly make a false statement in connection with an application for a personal licence.  To do so may result in prosecution and a fine of up to £5000.

You must notify the Licensing Authority immediately if you are convicted of any offence during the time between making your application and the grant of your licence.

Application forms submitted which are incomplete, incorrect, or missing any of the above requirements will be returned and rejected.

If you require any help with this process Environmental Health Training & Consultancy offer a pre-application advice service.  To find out more, please fill in the Icon for pdf Pre-application Advice Request Form [1.08MB].

Change of name or address for Personal Licence holder

If you are a Personal Licence holder and have had a change of name or address please complete and return the relevant application form below, your personal licence, (both the paper counterpart and the card) along with payment of £10.50 as detailed on the application form.

Icon for pdf Change of name [13.82KB]

Icon for pdf Change of address [14.36KB]

Renewal of a Personal Licence

From 1 April 2015 personal licences no longer have an expiry date (even if your current licence shows an expiry date).  If you hold a personal licence with an expiry date up to March 2015 you should have renewed your licence.  If you have not renewed your licence it has now lapsed.

Please be aware that if your licence has lapsed and if you need it for your employment, you will have no option but to submit a new application and there will be costs associated with that.

If you wish to update your personal licence with a card that shows no expiry date please complete and return the relevant form below along with your Personal Licence card with a fee of £10.50 (payment details on form)

Icon for pdf Update Expiry date [163.43KB]

National Fraud Initiative

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide for the prevention and detection of fraud.  It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.  For further information, click on the link for the National Fraud Initiative.

For further information on Personal Licences please refer to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport
For the full Licensing Act 2003, which regulates Alcohol and Entertainment, please visit the Licensing Act 2003
If you are unable to find the information you need, please contact us.