In some circumstances a discount may apply.
Certain people will not be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property:
• People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
• Patients resident in hospital
• People who are severely mentally impaired
• Full time students and apprentices
• 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
• Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person
• People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
• Members of religious communities
• People in prison
• People staying in night shelters or hostels
• Members of visiting forces
• People who are diplomats
• People over 18 still receiving child benefit
There is a 25 per cent discount if only one person is counted and 50 per cent if none are counted.
If you live alone, you need to apply for a Single Person Discount.
Applying for a discount
A number of the application forms and notes are available on our website. If you cannot see the application form you require, contact us at email@example.com or on 01775 761161, selecting Council Tax and hold to speak with an advisor.
If you qualify for a Council Tax discount you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.