Toggle menu

Council Tax change of circumstances

If you receive a Council Tax reduction and there is a change that might affect it, you must tell us within 21 days. If you do not tell us about a change, we can impose a £70 penalty.

For any other changes or personal circumstances not noted on this page, you can check if you are entitled to a Council Tax discount or exemption

Changes to who lives in your home

  • If someone in your home turns 18, or moves in with you, this may affect your reduction.
  • If you are now the only person over 18 living in your property, you will be entitled to a Single Person Discount.

To tell us about the changes, complete the  Single Person Council Tax Discount Form (PDF) [138KB] (opens new window)  and return the form to us at You can also return your form by post.

If someone has moved into your house recently, they need to Register to Vote (opens new window) and put their name on the electoral register at their new address.

Moving home?

See our Council Tax Change of Address page

Home-based businesses

Depending on the type of property, usually either Council Tax or Business Rates will be payable, but some may pay both. Generally, Business Rates are not paid for minor business-use of the home. Where part of the home is used for one of the reasons below, then Business Rates are likely to apply:

  • used exclusively for business purposes
  • has been adapted for business use
  • where clients visit the premises
  • where you employ people to work from there.