Depending on your circumstances, a Council Tax discount may apply.
Certain people won't be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property, such as:
• People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
• Patients resident in hospital
• People who are severely mentally impaired
• Full time students and apprentices
• 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
• Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person
• People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
• Members of religious communities
• People in prison
• People staying in night shelters or hostels
• Members of visiting forces
• People who are diplomats
• People over 18 still receiving child benefit.
There is a 25 percent discount if only one person is counted and 50 percent if none are counted.
If you live alone, you should apply for a single person discount.
Apply for a Council Tax discount
We offer a range of Council Tax discount options. If you cannot find the application form you need, or need help, please contact us at email@example.com or call 01775 761161 and select 'Council Tax' and hold to speak with an advisor.
Change in circumstances
If you qualify for a Council Tax discount, you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it, or if you move home. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.