Toggle menu


Depending on your circumstances, a Council Tax discount may apply. 

Certain people won't be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property, such as:

•     People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
•     Patients resident in hospital
•     People who are severely mentally impaired
•     Full time students and apprentices
•     18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
•     Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person
•     People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
•     Members of religious communities
•     People in prison
•     People staying in night shelters or hostels
•     Members of visiting forces
•     People who are diplomats
•     People over 18 still receiving child benefit.

There is a 25 percent discount if only one person is counted and 50 percent if none are counted. 

If you live alone, you should apply for a single person discount.

If you have an unoccupied property, please check our unoccupied furnished property or unoccupied and unfurnished property pages.

Apply for a Council Tax discount

We offer a range of Council Tax discount options.  If you cannot find the application form you need, or need help, please contact us at or  call 01775 761161 and select 'Council Tax' and hold to speak with an advisor.

Change in circumstances

If you qualify for a Council Tax discount, you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it, or if you move home. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

How is my information used?