Toggle menu

Finding a home

If you are looking for accommodation these are some of the options available:

Home Ownership

Owning your own home means you are free to create the home you want by your own rules.  If you have a mortgage deal your monthly payments are fixed and you will be building equity (the amount of your home that you own) as long as you live there (subject to individual circumstances and the housing market).  Click the links to learn more about how to  Own your own home (opens new window) and Affordable Home Ownership (opens new window)

Private Rented 

Renting in the private sector can allow you a greater choice about where you live. You can find properties advertised through estate agents, various websites, local newspapers, in shop windows or social media for example.  You may be required to pay a rent deposit and rent in advance up front before you move in.  The Housing Options team can help you with financial assistance to enable you to rent a property (click the link).

Social Housing

Social housing is available in South Holland District Council.  You can apply for social housing which includes; council houses, sheltered accommodation or housing via one of our registered providers via the button at the bottom of the page.  Your application will be assessed by the Allocations Team.  You will either be accepted or declined.  If you are declined you will be told why and given an opportunity to request a review.

Before you apply you will need to use the Housing Register evidence checklist (PDF) [138KB] (opens new window)(opens new tab) to make sure you have all the correct documentation to support your application.

Supported accommodation

If you feel unable to live independently and require on-site support, there are supported accommodation providers within the district that cater for single adults with various support needs. You will need to be referred to these so please request an appointment with a Housing Advisor by emailing

Caravans & Mobile Homes 

There are over 50 licensed caravan sites in the South Holland District. Most of them are for holiday use but some are for year-round residential use.  The Council licences sites that have gained or are in the process of obtaining the required planning permission to operate as a recognised caravan, mobile home or park home site.  These sites are commonly known as 'relevant protected sites'.  To see the list of protected sites click SHDC Public Register Caravan Sites (PDF) [121KB] (opens new window)(opens new tab)