Applying to join the Housing Register
Before you apply
You will need to upload documentation to evidence your circumstances. Please check you have got everything you need before you apply - you will be required to upload photos of these documents as part of the application. If you are 'no fixed abode' at any time, please provide a care of address where you could have been contacted.
You will need ALL of the evidence from the table below to apply to the Housing Register. We will reject incomplete applications - please do not apply until you have all of the information.
If you are having difficulty obtaining the documents, please contact us before you apply by phoning the Allocations Team on 01775 761161 or emailing email@example.com.
1. Identification for each adult
Please provide ONE of the following:
- Driving Licence
- Photo bus pass
- Identity card issued by EU country
- Home Office acceptance letter
- Immigration status document
- UK resident permit
- Citizenship card (with photo)
- Full birth certificate
- Medical card.
If your name has changed since birth, you will need to provide us with a copy of the deed poll that proves the change of name.
2. Identification for each child
Please provide TWO of the following for each child:
- Full birth certificate or passport
- Child Benefit award letter/proof on bank statements.
3. Immigration status for non-UK citizens
EU citizens that arrived before 1/7/2021:
- Please provide Settled Status codes for your household
People from outside the EU and EU citizens that arrived on/after 1/7/2021
Evidence that you have the right to enter/remain in the UK and proof of recourse to public funds including one of the following:
- Indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
- Refugee status or humanitarian protection
- Discretionary leave - if it includes recourse to public funds.
4. Proof of address for each applicant
Please provide ONE of the following:
- Driving licence
- Current tenancy agreement
- Gas, electricity or water bill dated within the last 2 months
- Bank statement dated within the last 2 months
- Council Tax bill for this year
- Housing Benefit entitlement letter for this year
- College/School letter dated within the last 2 months.
- Letter addressed to you dated within the last 2 months from any of the following: solicitor, social worker, probation officer, the Home Office, DWP, NHS, HM Revenue & Customs
- Payslip from within the last 2 months
5. Proof of income for all adults
Please provide ALL of the following:
- Last two months bank statements for all bank accounts (including savings)
- Documents showing any stock, shares, bonds, or certificates owned
- A copy of your latest accounts if you are self-employed and letter from the HMRC to indicate self-employment.
6. Information regarding your current home
If you are renting please provide ALL of the following:
- Tenancy agreement
- Rent statement dated within the last 2 months - you may need to request this from your landlord
- Where applicable: notice, possession order or eviction notice.
If you own your home please provide ALL of the following:
- Valuation of your property (dated within the last 2 months)
- Mortgage statement (dated within the last 12 months).
7. Housing debts
Existing social housing tenants will need a clear rent account to be accepted onto the Housing Register as well as a landlord reference. If you have arrears, please contact us before applying.
If you have housing debt, please provide ONE of the following to show that you are paying this debt back:
- Rent/mortgage statement
- Letter from the landlord
- Bank statements for the last 3 months with transactions highlighted.
8. Medical information
Please supply ONE of the following:
- Letter from GP/Hospital or other health professional explaining how your housing situation is negatively impacting on your health
- A Housing Need Report from your Occupational Therapist.
9. Proof of pregnancy
Please supply a MAT B1 form
10. Current of former British Armed Forces personnel
Proof of current service or discharge papers from the last 5 years.
Once you have gathered all of this information, you can submit a housing application online by clicking The Housing Register application process to continue.