Noise Nuisance

It is important that you establish the exact source of the noise as without this information we will be unable to investigate your complaint.

What to do to get this service

If possible, approach the source of the noise directly as they may not be aware that they are causing a problem. If this is not possible, or fails to resolve the problem,email your complaint or call us on 01775 761161.

See Icon for pdf First steps to dealing with a noise problem [10.0KB] for initial advice.

What we don't cover?

  • Military noise (including low flying aircraft)
  • Noise from the emergency services
  • One-off incidents of noise
  • Traffic noise

What do we cover?

  • Neighbour noise
  • Industrial/Commercial noise
  • DIY/Building noise
  • Noise from Pubs/Clubs
  • Bird Scarers
  • Burglar and Car Alarms
  • Domestic Animals and Poultry

How long will the whole process take?

You will be asked to keep a record of when the noise occurs and how it affects you. To keep a record of noise nuisance, download our Icon for pdf noise record sheet [15.02KB].

The source of the noise will be contacted and informed that a complaint has been made against them.  Your complaint is dealt with in complete confidence, but it may be obvious to the person who has made the complaint. If the case results in court action your identity may have to be disclosed.

The length of time it takes to investigate noise complaints varies according to the nature of the complaint. Usually we will ask you to keep records for up to one month, depending on the information you send us we may wish to monitor the source of the noise ourselves.

If you do not return completed record sheets we will assume you no longer have a noise problem and close your complaint.

What can the Council do?

If the noise is causing a serious nuisance we have a legal obligation to investigate. For a problem to be a statutory nuisance, it must affect you within your home or garden and be unreasonable. If our investigations prove that there is a statutory nuisance an abatement notice can be served.

What can I do if the council decide that they are unable to take any action?

You may be able to take your own action.  Download Icon for pdf Taking your own Private Action Advice [24.82KB] for more information.

Links to forms, leaflets and websites providing more information

If you are a farmer and wish to register a bird scarer you can download our Bird Scarer Registration Form and return it to us.

Icon for pdf Bird Scaring Devices Registration Form [29KB]

If you have a burglar alarm you can register details of key holders with us. In the eventuality of your alarm going off and us being unable to contact you, substantial costs may be incurred by you.

Icon for pdf Burglar Alarm Registration Form [46.09KB]

The website also gives additional information on noise complaints.