Toggle menu

Dangerous wild animals

Dangerous Wild Animal Act licences are issued under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.  The Act does not apply to zoos, circuses, pet shops or to establishments registered for carrying out animal experiments. There is a schedule attached to the Act which states which animals fall within the term "dangerous wild animal".

South Holland District Council has a power of entry and inspection of premises which hold a licence. We may seize any dangerous wild animals which are being kept on the premises if the animal is unlicensed, or where any condition of the licence is not being complied with.

Areas considered in respect of issuing a licence include the accommodation, which should be secure and suitable in respect of its construction, size, temperature, lighting, ventilation, draining and cleanliness. The accommodation must be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and must be visited at suitable intervals. There must also be emergency provisions, such as in respect of fire or in cases of infectious disease. Visit GOV.UK for further information on licensing a wild animal.

To apply, please complete and return the Icon for pdf dangerous wild animal licence application form [15.98KB] to Your premises will also be inspected by a veterinarian, for which a fee is payable.