The Local Economy
South Holland is a thriving district at the very heart of the UK's agri-food sector - anecdotal evidence suggests that nearly 35% of the UK's food will go through South Holland at some point in its 'life'.
As the name suggests, the district has close ties with Holland dating back to the 17th century when the land was reclaimed from the sea, resulting in the fertile land both in and around the area.
South Holland is known internationally for its strengths in agriculture, horticulture, food manufacturing and logistics with some of the biggest industry names working here. All this is underpinned by a strong and adaptable supply chain of local companies that make up over 99% of the total business count.
Confidence in the local economy remains high with investment in projects like the Food Enterprise Zone (FEZ) in Holbeach, a relief road around the west of Spalding and exciting plans for revitalising retail opportunities in town centres. Larger organisations working in food manufacturing also benefit from the University of Lincoln's National Centre for Food Manufacturing which plays a key role in developing local skills and aiding the adoption of cutting edge technology.
One of the districts strongest assets is its readily available, flexible workforce which complements the 24/7 working patterns that a lot of modern manufacturing businesses demand. With such a strong work ethic, our workforce enjoy investment from their employers to develop their skills to make the most of new technology in manufacturing, logistics and food sciences.
Be a part of South Holland's future
To discuss how South Holland can support your business' growth ambitions, please contact our Economic Development and Inward Investment team via email email@example.com or call 01775 761161.
Big names that call South Holland 'home'
|Addo Food Group||Fowler Welch||Intergreen|
|Flamingo Flowers||Gousto||QV Foods|
Our economy in numbers
- There are a currently a total of 3465 enterprises in South Holland, of which 3075 have between 0 and 9 employees, whereas there are 10 with over 250 employees.
- South Holland has a GVA of £1.709 billion.
- South Holland covers 74,238 hectares in the south-eastern corner of Lincolnshire.
- The district has a population of around 90,000 people and is set to grow a further 15 percent by 2021.
- Job density is currently at 0.8 jobs per resident aged 16 to 64. The claimant count is at 1.1 percent, well below the county average of 1.8 percent.
- On average, South Holland residents earn £467.60 per week.
- In all, over 50 percent of jobs in South Holland are directly linked to the Agri-Food value chain.
- Food manufacturing is 13 times more significant as an employer in the district than the national average. Transport and storage is twice the national average in terms of employment.
- 22 percent of South Holland's enterprises are directly engaged in agriculture, and 14 percent in construction. Agriculture and Horticulture employ upwards of 3000 people directly, up to 10,000 including seasonal labour giving flexibility across the sector, vital in today's fast moving, just in time economy.
- Food related and general manufacturing employs over 11,000 people, the construction sector 3200, wholesale and retail trade 7000, and the Logistics sector 2,700.