Toggle menu

Council Tax change of circumstances

If you receive a Council Tax reduction you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it, such as moving home or start running a business from home. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

For any other changes or personal circumstances not noted on this page, you can check if you are entitled to a Council Tax discount or exemption

Changes to who lives in your home

If you claim a Council Tax reduction and someone over the age of 18 moves in with you, this may affect your discount. Please complete the single person change in circumstances enquiry form (PDF) [37KB] (opens new window)  and return it to us. 

If someone has moved into your house recently, they'll need to register to vote (opens new window) and put their name on the electoral register at their new address.

Single person household

If you are the only person over 18 living in your property, you will be entitled to a Single Person Discount. Please complete the  single person discount application form (PDF) [39KB] (opens new window) and return it to us.

Home-based businesses

Depending on the type of property, usually either Council Tax or Business Rates will be payable, but some may pay both. Generally, Business Rates are not paid for minor business-use of the home. Where part of the home is used for one of the reasons below, then Business Rates are likely to apply:

  • used exclusively for business purposes
  • has been adapted for business use
  • where clients visit the premises
  • where you employ people to work from there.

See how your information is used.