Change in circumstances

If there is a change in your circumstances, for example, if you move address or start running a business from home, you must inform us immediately.

Someone moved in with you?  If you claim a reduction and someone else, over 18, moves in with you, this may affect your discount.  Complete the Icon for pdf enquiry form [38.88KB] and return to us. 

If someone has moved into your house recently, they need to register to vote and put their name on the electoral register at their new address.

Living alone?  If you are the only person over 18 living in your property, you will be entitled to a Single Person Discount. Complete the Icon for pdf application form [39.03KB] and return to us.

Home-based businesses:  Depending on the type of property, usually either Council Tax or Business Rates will be payable - some may pay both. Generally, Business Rates are not paid for minor business use of the home. Where part of the home is used for one of the reasons below, then Business Rates are likely to apply:

•Used exclusively for business purposes
•Has been adapted for business use
•Where clients visit the premises
•Where you employ people to work from there

For any other changes Check if you are entitled to a discount or exemption. 

If you receive a Council Tax reduction you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

How is my information used?