Paying Your Rent

The simplest ways to pay your Housing Rent is by one of the following methods:

Direct Debit

From your Bank/Building Society or fill out this Icon for pdf Direct Debit Mandate [273.16KB] and return it to the Council Offices

Standing Order

If you would like to pay by Standing Order please contact your Housing Neighbourhoods Officer.

Automated Telephone Service

You can now make payments or check your account balance using our 24 hour automated telephone payment line. Calls are charged at the local rate. Please allow up to 3 working days for payments to reach us.

Just call 0345 340 9310 and choose one of the following options:

  • Option 1 for Council Tax;
  • Option 2 for Housing Rents;
  • Option 3 for Business Rates;
  • Option 4  for Debtors Invoice; or
  • Option 5 for Housing Benefit Overpayment. 

The system will give you a payment reference to note down after a successful payment.  This is your receipt and should be quoted in any correspondence with us relating to your payment (along with your account/invoice number). 

Online Payments

Use our  Payment Portal to check account balances and make all your council payments.

Please note: rent account balances with a minus (-) sign in front of the figure shows that the rent account is in credit.

From your Smart Phone via the AllPay payment app

You can now pay direct from your smart phone. Click the Allpay link for details.  

At local stores displaying the PayPoint sign               

You can now pay your Housing Rent and Council Tax at at store near you. Click the Allpay link for details.

Post Office      

You can pay Housing Rent and Council Tax at your local Post Office. Click the Allpay link for details.                                                                

Your rent is one of the most important payments you will need to make but we appreciate that your circumstances can change.

If you are finding it hard to pay your rent, contact us immediately. It is very important that you let our Housing Management Team know as soon as possible. The officer will be able to record your contact and reasons why you are unable to pay. They will also advise you of your options in order for you to catch up with your payments. They may also refer you to the right independent voluntary agency who can give you appropriate independent financial advice.

Rent Arrears

If your rent is not paid, the money owed is called 'rent arrears'. Rent arrears are 'priority debts', which means the consequences of not dealing with them are serious - there is a risk of losing your home. If you cannot pay your rent or you have missed payments please get in contact immediately.

Contact us on:

Phone - 01775 761161

Email -

Even if you have other debts, make sure you pay your rent arrears first.

Things to do to help you get back on track:

  • make a list of all your debts and put them in order of priority
  • write down all your income and expenses - then see how much you've got to pay your debts
  • work out how much you can afford to pay to each creditor (a person or organisation you owe money to)
  • consider seeking advice from a debt advice agency such as National Debtline most importantly, talk to your landlord - try to reach an agreement about paying off the arrears, but don't agree to pay more than you can afford - one way to do this is through an agreed debt management plan

Need some help and advice? See Citizens Advice website.