Council Tax Support
Changes to the Council Tax Support Scheme from 1 April 2017
The changes affect the amount of help that working age people can get towards their Council Tax. The changes do not affect people of pensionable age or those in receipt of War Disablement Pension.
From 1 April 2017:
- the amount that working age applicants need to pay towards their council tax charge is at least 30%
- the amount of Council Tax Support that working age applicants can get is limited to the Council Tax charge of a Band D property in their area
- there is a minimum Council Tax Support award of £5.00 per week for working age applicants. This means that where the calculation of Council Tax Support would be less than £5.00 per week, no Council Tax support is paid
- the amount of savings, capital and investments that a working age applicant can have reduced from £16,000 to £8,000. This means there is no entitlement to Council Tax Support for working age applicants with more than £8,000 capital
- the lower amount of capital that a working age applicant can hold before it affects entitlement has reduced from £6,000 to £3,000. This means that capital above £3,000 is assumed to generate £1 of income for every £250.00 held in the calculation of Council Tax Support
- backdating of new claims for working age applicants is limited to one month
- the family premium has been removed from the Council Tax Support calculation for working age claimants who make a new application after 1 April 2017
- non-dependant deduction(s) applied to the Council Tax Support calculation for working age claimants increased by 10%
- second adult rebate reduced to 20% for working age claimants
How to apply:
- You can apply online using this link Claim Online (Please note that this service is not available at the moment due to Annual Council Tax Billing)
- Visit our office or ring South Holland District Council on 01775 761161 to make an appointment
Council Tax Support is calculated as a means tested discount, the amount each household has to pay is dependent on their individual circumstances.
The SHDC Council Tax Support Scheme 2017/18, and the CT Discretionary Hardship Application Form is available to view in the related documents section below.