Street naming and numbering
Our Building Control service deal with applications for:
- new street names
- building names
- new numbers to buildings, and
- maintenance and replacement of existing street nameplates and numbers.
Please note that there is a charge for the street naming and numbering service.
Request new naming or numbering
We make sure that any new street names are suitable and that no duplication or similarity exists that could lead to confusion. For example, it's vital for street names to be unique to ensure the emergency services are able to locate any address to which they are called to. Where a property has a number, it must be used and displayed in a visible location from the highway.
Names for all buildings should be allocated by the Council. However, it isn't necessary to seek Council approval to use a house name where an existing domestic dwelling carries a street number, but:
- the intended name must not repeat the road name, or
- the name of any nearby road or building.
You can apply online for a street naming or numbering request if you are:
- considering changing the name or number of your property, or
- need to submit a request for the address of a new property.
When applying, please upload a site plan where possible.