Toggle menu

Emergency Housing Repairs

Emergency Housing Repairs

The grant will provide immediate assistance for owner occupiers or private tenants with full repairing responsibility where works are needed to make their home wind and weatherproof or to reduce a hazard.  Eligible works are repairs determined as Category 1 (serious) or Category 2 (significant) hazards as determined by the Housing Act 2004; Housing Health and Safety Rating System HHSRS, which affects the ability of the property to be safe, wind and weatherproof.  The works should provide an immediate remedy but not necessarily reduce long term maintenance costs. Works must be completed within 3 months of the grant being approved.

The grant has the following criteria:

  • You must have lived at the property for a minimum of 12 months.
  • Works should help remedy defects or deficiencies which have a direct impact upon health of the occupant(s).
  • The property must normally be occupied by the applicant as their main place of residence.
  • Applicants will be formally means tested.
  • Applicants must have less than £16,000 capital, savings and investments.
  • Maximum grant £2,000.
  • Owner occupiers - if the property is disposed of within 10 years of the completion of the works, repayment of the grant amount will be required.
  • Tenants - you will agree to remain in the property as your main residence for 5 years from the completion date of the works.

When you complete an application, you will be asked to provide some, or all, of the following documentation:

  • Photographic evidence of the disrepairs.
  • Evidence of occupants' health conditions (if applicable) eg letter/referral from a GP or other relevant health professional.
  • Proof of identification eg copy of driving licence, birth certificate or passport.
  • Proof that you have lived in the property at least 12 months (eg a utility bill or council tax bill dated more than 12 months ago).
  • 2 quotes from accredited contractors for the works required including details of condemned appliances (if applicable).
  • 3 months' bank statements and one payslip (if applicable).
  • Proof of passported benefits (if applicable).
  • Tenancy agreement (if applicable).
  • Home insurance policy certificate.

Once we receive your completed application and supporting documentation, we will assess your eligibility based on the SHDC grant criteria and policy.  We will confirm to you in writing the outcome of your application.

Apply  Housing Assistance Application (PDF) [335KB] (opens new window)