Toggle menu

Safe Warm and Well

Safe Warm and Well

The Safe, Warm and Well Grant is for owner occupiers or private tenants with full repairing responsibility aged over 65; or with children 14 years or under; or those with chronic or severe health issues affected by poor housing conditions requiring essential repairs to their home for health and safety reasons.

Eligible works are repairs determined as Category 1 (serious) or Category 2 (significant) hazards as determined by the Housing Act 2004; Housing Health and Safety Rating System HHSRS, which affects the ability of the property to be safe, wind and weatherproof.  You will need to supply photographic evidence of the disrepair(s) requiring grant funded works.

The grant has the following criteria:

  • You must have lived at the property for a minimum of 12 months.
  • From the date of application the property must be at least 10 years old or converted over 10 years ago.
  • The property must have an EPC rating of D or below.
  • The applicant must be over 65; or have children of 14 years or under; or have an occupier with a chronic or severe condition exacerbated by the cold or poor housing conditions.
  • The property must normally be occupied by the applicant as their main place of residence.
  • Applicants will be formally means tested.
  • Applicants must have less than £16,000 capital, savings and investments.
  • Maximum grant £10,000.
  • Owner occupiers - if the property is disposed of within 10 years of the completion of the works, repayment of the grant amount will be required.
  • Tenants - you will agree to remain in the property as your main residence for 5 years from the completion date of the works.

When you complete an application, you will be asked to provide some, or all, of the following documentation:

  • Photographic evidence of the disrepairs.
  • Evidence of occupants' health conditions (if applicable) eg letter/referral from a GP or other relevant health professional.
  • Proof of identification eg copy of driving licence, birth certificate or passport.
  • Proof that you have lived in the property at least 12 months (eg a utility bill or council tax bill dated more than 12 months ago).
  • 2 quotes from accredited contractors for the works required including details of condemned appliances (if applicable).
  • 3 months' bank statements and one payslip (if applicable).
  • Proof of passported benefits (if applicable).
  • Tenancy agreement (if applicable).
  • Home insurance policy certificate.

Once we receive your completed application and supporting documentation, we will assess your eligibility based on the SHDC grant criteria and policy.  We will confirm to you in writing the outcome of your application.

Apply  Housing Assistance Application (PDF) [335KB] (opens new window)