Food Safety Complaints
How to complain about food or a food business
All food businesses are regularly inspected by Food Safety Officers to ensure compliance with the law but occasionally things do go wrong. You can complain directly to the supplier or manufacturer of the food but once you have given them the food and packaging it will be very difficult for us to later investigate.
- If you bring the complaint to our attention we will deal with it as promptly as possible.
- We will need any food remains or the foreign object, as much of the packaging as possible and the receipt.
- Once you hand over the complaint it becomes our property and it may be subject to analysis, which might destroy the product.
- Investigations do not always result in prosecution, as informal action will often achieve the desired result. We will decide upon the most appropriate course of action in line with our Enforcement policy.
- If we decide to prosecute we would need a signed statement from you and you might be asked to appear in court as a witness. If you are not happy about this it would be helpful if you could let us know at an early stage.
Trading Standards officers investigate complaints about quality, food labelling, ingredients, and weights and measures. Follow the link to find your local trading standards office.
Complaints about Food Hygiene Practices
If you are concerned about the standards of food hygiene at a food business in South Holland you can make a complaint to our department. Some of the things you may find to complain about include:
- Poor food handling practices
- Poor levels of cleanliness
- Sightings of vermin or pests
- Food that did not taste as it should
- Suspected food poisoning
- Foreign objects in food served
Once we receive a complaint we will decide on the appropriate response and keep you informed of any progress . You can be assured that all complaints we receive will be treated in the strictest of confidence and complainants personal details will only be released with their permission.
If you would like to make a complaint,email your complaint, providing as much information as possible. We will then contact you within 5 working days.