Toggle menu

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) in South Holland District

HMO Types


                                     (no requirement for a licence)

                                  Large HMO

                                    (must be licensed with the Council)

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO Screenshot 1)
Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) screenshot 2
  • At least 3 tenants/sharers forming more than 1 household.
  • Shared toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities.

Households include:

  • Single people
  • Couples (including married, cohabiting or civil partnerships)
  • Relatives including half-relatives and step-relatives
  • Foster parents and carers

HMOs are usually in the following types of accommodation:

  • Bedsit accommodation
  • Shared houses
  • Hostels
  • Guesthouses
  • Houses let to lodgers
  • Residential care homes

Large HMOs must be licensed with the Council

HMO licence application

If you are a landlord of a HMO property and you think your HMO requires a licence, you can download our application form here  SHDC HMO licence application (PDF) [195KB] (opens new window)  

Before submitting the completed application, you are required to arrange a DBS check using the Government website (opens new window)

Our HMO licence fee is £660 for up to 5 bedrooms, and an additional £60 per room thereafter. A HMO licence is valid for 5 years.

HMO public register

You can view all the licensed HMO properties in the South Holland District by clicking here:   HMO Public Register 2023 (PDF) [110KB] (opens new window)

Find out about your responsibilities as a HMO landlord
Find out what your landlord is responsible for if you live in a HMO property.
Contact us about a property you suspect may be a HMO
How HMO licence data is handled, managed and stored