Toggle menu

COVID-19: Advice for tenants

If you are a South Holland District Council tenant, please see our council housing advice during COVID-19.

Those moving home should maintain social distancing and follow COVID-19 health advice from the Government and NHS.

If you are concerned about your housing situation or need advice, please visit the Shelter website which has information about:

  • evictions
  • benefits, rent and money problems
  • help if you're homeless
  • domestic abuse
  • ending a tenancy and moving home
  • repairs and access to your home
  • mortgage payment problems.

South Holland District Council tenants

If you are a tenant of South Holland District Council and you are worried about paying your rent or concerned about any housing or financial matters, please contact your Housing Officer or the Duty Housing Officer of the Housing Services Team. 

If you need our help, please don't hesitate to ask - we can provide you with advice, support and guidance. This can include putting special payment plans in place to help if you need it, or supporting you to claim benefits you're entitled to. You can contact the Housing Services Team on 01775 761161 or

    Rent payments during coronavirus

    If you're struggling to pay rent, you should speak to your landlord. You may be able to agree a rent reduction or accept a late rent payment with your landlord if you've lost your job, had a sudden reduction to your income or are experiencing other financial issues due to coronavirus. Ensure you get any agreement confirmed in writing.  

    There are other options to help with your rent payment and a guide about how to get help with rent is available on the Shelter website. Check to see if you're entitled to any benefit support. The benefits calculator can suggest any benefits that you may be able to receive. You may also be able to claim housing benefit or council tax support

    Shelter have a Universal Credit guide which advises:

    • if you should claim Universal Credit or other benefit(s)
    • how to start a Universal Credit claim
    • how much you might get
    • how to get an advance Universal Credit payment (you may have to wait up to five weeks for your first payment, but you may be able to get an advance)
    • where to find information about statutory sick pay and furloughing.

    If you have debts, Citizens Advice and the Money Advice Service offer free personalised money advice. 

    If you have been served notice by your landlord, please contact us by emailing or call 01775 761161 to discuss what support we may be able to offer. You can also get advice from the Shelter website

    Please note, this service is currently experiencing high demand. Please take the steps suggested on this page before contacting us.  

    Mortgage payments during coronavirus

    Be sure to check whether you have insurance that could cover your mortgage payments, such as mortgage payment protection insurance or through your current account.

    You can ask your mortgage lender for a three month payment holiday if you're struggling to pay because of coronavirus. Please note that any missed mortgage payments, including arranged payment holidays, will be added to the cost of your mortgage. This may mean your monthly payments increase.

    You can ask your lender about other payment options or look into switching lenders who offer a lower interest rate.

    Landlord access or visits to your home

    Due to COVID-19, any landlord wishing to enter a property should contact the tenant(s) in advance to check the health of the household and to arrange a suitable time to visit or to carry out maintenance works. During such visits, social distancing and other public health measures should be followed to prevent the spread of the virus.

    If you have an assured shorthold tenancy (AST), this doesn't give your landlord the automatic right to enter your home. We recommend you check your tenancy contract to understand what terms your landlord may have stated about entry to the property, as access rights may be detailed in relation to viewings or repairs.

    If you live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO), a bedsit or are renting a room, the landlord may be entitled to access communal areas.

    Home repairs and maintenance during COVID-19

    It's important to let your landlord know if you or anyone in your household are clinically vulnerable, self-isolating or quarantining in advance of any planned maintenance work visits.

    Any works scheduled should ideally be carried out when the tenant(s) are not in the property. Where this is not possible, tenant(s) and contractors should follow social distancing and hygiene guidance.

    Urgent repairs that ensure homes are safe and secure should always be priority. If a household is self-isolating and there is a need for an urgent repair, this should only be carried out if there is a genuine health and safety risk if the repair was delayed. Where such instances occur, the tenant(s) and the contractors should not have any face to face contact and be vigilant by taking the necessary hygiene precautions.

    Landlords will still need to carry out gas and electrical safety inspections and should arrange these visits with tenants in advance.

    More information about working safely during COVID-19 can be found on GOV.UK.

    Communal areas in rented accommodation

    Landlords may be responsible for cleaning communal areas of houses in multiple occupation (HMO), such as kitchens, bathrooms, hallways or stairs.

    These areas should be regularly cleaned to limit the transmission of COVID-19.

    Social distancing in shared homes

    Anyone living in shared accommodation such as renting a room or HMO should try to maintain social distancing and minimise interaction with anyone in the shared home. Everyone should wash their hands frequently, avoid touching their face and sanitise high-touch surfaces regularly.

    It is also advisable to minimise the time spent in shared spaces such as kitchens or sitting areas and to keep such rooms well ventilated. See NHS advice on how to stop germs spreading.

    If you or someone in your shared home has coronavirus symptoms or is confirmed to have COVID-19, all members of the household must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. Further stay at home guidance is available on GOV.UK.