Toggle menu

Request permission

There are times when you'll need our permission as a tenant of a council home. You must gain our permission before:

  • getting a pet (unless it's a small caged birds, fish in tanks or small caged rodents)
  • taking in a lodger or sub-letting any part of your home
  • exchanging or transferring your home
  • being away from your home for more than four weeks
  • keeping more than three motor vehicles at home
  • running a business from home
  • making a home improvement*.

Please be assured that we won't withhold permission unreasonably, but we may set certain conditions that you need to meet as part of any agreement given.

*The types of home improvement that require our permission are such things as:

  • making structural changes, alterations, improvements or additions to the property
  • installing floor tiles, laminate/wooden flooring or similar
  • removing, replacing or planting any fence or tree at the property
  • installing decking, a conservatory, greenhouse, fence, wall, garage, shed, patio, animal enclosure, fishpond, pool or other structure in your garden
  • fitting a satellite dish or closed-circuit television system in the property or within its boundaries.

You can request our permission online using the buttons below or you can apply in writing by emailing or by post:

South Holland District Council
Customer Services
Council Offices
Priory Road
PE11 2XE