Toggle menu

Benefits privacy notice

Your privacy is very important to South Holland District Council.

What this privacy notice covers

South Holland District Council is the Data Controller responsible for the personal information you may provide in relation to administering Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Your data will be processed by Public Sector Partnership Services Ltd (PSPS), formerly known as Compass Point Business Services, a company owned by East Lindsey and South Holland District Councils. 

We may also use the services of other approved companies to help us deliver our services, including Capita Software Services Ltd, Xantura Ltd, Destin Solutions Ltd, Critiqom and Civica Ltd. 

In relation to your personal data we are committed to collecting, using and protecting it appropriately. 

Why we need your personal data

Your information will be used to administer and maintain claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

We have a legal responsibility to administer claims for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, and this forms our legal basis for processing your data (reference Article 6(1(c)) of the General Data Protection Regulations), as defined in:

  • The Housing Benefit scheme under the Social Security Administration Act (SSAA) 1992 and Welfare Reform Act (WRA) 2012, and / or
  • Local Council Tax Support scheme under S13A and Schedule 1a of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 and its associated Regulations.

What we collect and how your data is used

For the purpose of administering and maintaining claims for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, South Holland District Council will collect personal data about you and your family. This information collation will include:

  • details about you and your household members such as your name, address, date of birth, sex, telephone number, email address, National Insurance Number, earned income, benefits and allowances, bank accounts, savings, investments, property ownership, rent paid, landlord details, immigration details
  • other relevant information needed to process your claim such as your landlord details, the name of any appointees, your employers name and address.

The council has a duty to protect the public funds it administers and may use information held about you for all lawful purposes, including, but not limited to:

  • prevention and detection of fraud
  • matching data with electoral registration records, and
  • protecting public funds in investigating misuse of public money.

The council is required by law to participate in National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercises. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support information may be provided to the Cabinet Office for NFI purposes and will be used for cross-system and cross-authority comparison for the prevention and detection of fraud.

We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for detecting and preventing fraud or auditing and administering public funds as required by law.

We may pass this information to other agencies or organisations such as the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC) as allowed by law.

We may check information you have provided or information about you that someone else has provided with other information we hold. Sources of information include landlords, housing associations, letting agents, employers, pension providers, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC).

We may also get information about you from certain third parties, or give them information to ensure the information is accurate and to prevent/detect crime and protect public funds. This includes credit reference agencies, police, Electoral Registration, Health and Social care organisations, housing services, other Local Authorities, Land Registry, The Rent Service, The Tribunal Service (for housing benefit), The Valuation Tribunal Service (for Council Tax Support).

We may share information with other organisations such as Citizens Advice, and Local Authority Services, such as Housing/Homeless and Wellbeing teams, where we have your consent and it is in your interest.

If you ask a Councillor for help we may pass information to them and other services to enable them to help you.

In the event of any overpayments, we may check or share information with your employer, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), credit reference agencies and debt collection agencies.

We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing or sales purposes or for any commercial use, and we will not use your personal data in a way which may cause you harm.

Automated decisions

Some of our processes involve automated decisions, these decisions are made either as part of our annual updating processes before a new financial year or following information provided to us from the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP). As with all decisions we make, you will be notified in writing and you should let us know if you think this decision is incorrect.   

How long the information is kept for

Records are kept in accordance with the Council's disposal schedule and we will not keep your information for longer than necessary.

Your rights

You have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) including the right:

  • to be informed
  • of access to your personal data
  • of rectification (to have any inaccuracies corrected)
  • of erasure (to have your records deleted)
  • to restrict processing
  • to data portability
  • to object
  • in relation to automated decision making and profiling.

Further information about your rights is available on the website of the Information Commissioner's Office (opens new window).

If you have a concern about the way that we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you contact us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (opens new window)

Providing accurate information

It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you in order to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you tell us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.

How to contact us

We have a Data Protection Officer, who can be contacted if you have any questions about how we collect, store, or use personal data:

  • by phone: 01775 761161
  • email:
  • in writing to: Legal Services, South Holland District Council, Priory Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2XE.