Receiving and Providing Care
If you have moved out of your home to either receive care, or to provide care, there may be a reduction in Council Tax due on your property.
If you receive care
- Exempt Class E: Unoccupied property as the person responsible for Council Tax is now permanently living in a hospital, residential care home or nursing home. Does not apply for those who are in respite care. The property can be furnished and the exemption will continue until the property is sold, let or reoccupied.
- Exempt Class I: Unoccupied property as the occupier has gone to live elsewhere to receive care. If you think that you may qualify, then please confirm this in writing.
If you provide care
- Carers Discount: You live with someone who you provide care for (not spouse, partner, or child) and they have entitlement to a qualifying benefit. Please complete the .
- Exempt Class J: Unoccupied property as the occupier has gone to live elsewhere to provide care. If you think that you may qualify, then please confirm this in writing.
- Owners of residential care/nursing homes: If residents and no staff only occupy the home, then there will be a 50% discount. Please complete the .
Please return completed forms either by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post. Alternatively please call us on 01775 761161 to discuss the above reductions in detail.
Change in Circumstances
If you qualify for the Council Tax exemption you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change. Keep us informed of changes on email@example.com or by calling 01775 761161.