Toggle menu

Disabled relief

You may get a reduction if you or someone living with you is permanently and substantially disabled. The disabled person can be an adult or a child.

As well as being disabled, one of the following conditions must be met:

  • having a second bathroom or kitchen
  • using a wheelchair, and enough space for it to be used, within your home
  • having a room used for the needs of the disabled person (exclusions apply).

With Disabled Relief, you will be charged a band lower than the actual band of your property, for example; a Band C property is charged as Band B. If you live in a Band A, you will be given a reduction equal to 1/9th of a Band D charge. See Council Tax charges 2023-24 (PDF) [634KB] (opens new window) for current amounts.

Disabled Relief means if you need extra space because of a disability, you are not disadvantaged by having to pay more Council Tax. See disabled relief guidance notes (PDF) [32KB] (opens new window)  for full details. If you think you may qualify, print and complete the  disabled relief application form (PDF) [55KB] (opens new window)  and return it by email:, or by post to Council Tax, PO Box 8, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2XQ

Once the form has been returned, a home visit will be arranged to confirm the details provided. We will contact you to arrange a convenient time and we will always carry an identity card when visiting your home. A doctor's certificate may also be required - we will advise you if this is needed.

If you qualify for disabled relief you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I appeal if you do not grant a disabled relief reduction?
A. Yes. You need to write to us giving the reasons why you disagree with our decision. We will reply within two months. If you still do not agree with the decision, or we have not replied within two months, you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

How is my information used?