Toggle menu

Enforcement Agent debt collection

If you fail to pay or do not make a payment arrangement, we can ask an Enforcement Agent to collect the Council Tax debt for us. 

We will always write to warn you that your account will be passed to an enforcement agent and advise you of their charges. When a debt is referred to an enforcement agent, you will be charged an immediate fee of £75.

Enforcement agents may consider giving you time to pay, but you must agree to a satisfactory arrangement. If they allow you time to pay, you'll enter into a controlled goods agreement which means they'll make a list of goods in your house that add up to the value of the debt, and their costs. You'll have to sign the agreement and there will be additional fees to pay. If you break the arrangement, the enforcement agent will re-enter your property to remove the valuable goods.

If your debt has been passed to an enforcement agent, please contact them directly to discuss payment. We currently use the following enforcement agent firms, please check your documentation to confirm who your debt has been passed to:

For advice on Enforcement Agents and the action they can take, please visit GOV.UK.

See our debt management policy (PDF) [78KB] (opens new window) for more information. You may also wish to view our Council Tax privacy notice.