Toggle menu

Problems paying Council Tax

To give us the best chance of helping you, contact us as soon as you think you are going to have a problem paying your bill.

Before you contact us, please ensure you:

  • Check if you qualify for a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support 
  • Review your finances
  • Consider how to resolve the problem - we offer weekly, fortnightly, monthly and four weekly payment options.

See our ways to pay web page.

If we don't know you're having problems, we will continue with enforcement action and you could end up having to pay a lot more. To discuss a payment arrangement, call us on 01775 761161 and select 'Council Tax' to speak with an advisor.  

See our debt management policy (PDF) [78KB] (opens new window) for more information.

Independent advice:

  • Citizens Advice gives free, independent advice helping to resolve legal, money and other problems
  • National Debtline offer advice on how to deal with debt problems
  • StepChange give advice, support or solutions to resolve your debt problems
  • Money Advice Service is a non profit government organisation, solely helping people with their finances.