How is Council Tax charged?
Council Tax is based on the valuation band of your property.
The amount of Council Tax payable depends on three factors:
- amount of money needed for services provided
- valuation band of your property
- if you claim a discount, exemption or Council Tax Support.
Council Tax charges FAQs
- I am not paying my bill because I am unhappy with the services, what will happen?
You must continue to pay your bill and raise the matter with the authority responsible for the service you are unhappy with. If you stop paying we will take enforcement action.
- I have a Council Tax appeal outstanding, do I have to pay and if so, can I have interest on any overpayment?
Yes, you still have to pay. The law states payment is due even if an appeal or claim is outstanding. There is nothing in law for interest to be paid on overpaid Council Tax.