Toggle menu

Do I pay Council Tax on a caravan?

We will consider your caravan to be your sole or main residence if you:

  • have ownership of another home elsewhere but it is occupied by someone else
  • stay at your caravan for large parts of the time the site is open
  • cannot provide enough evidence to show you live somewhere else.

The following issues will not stop you from being responsible for payment of Council Tax:

  • having your post re-directed because the site does not allow post
  • paying rates to the site owner separately to the rent
  • having to leave the site when it is closed
  • overnight stays at a friends or relatives address.

If you are unsure if you need to register, take a look at the  caravan and Council Tax examples guidance (PDF) [42KB] (opens new window) . If after considering the examples you think you should be registered to pay Council Tax, please contact us on 01775 761161 and select 'Council Tax' to speak with an advisor.