Review of Polling Districts, Polling Places & Polling Stations
A review of the polling districts and polling places used for elections within the South Holland area of the South Holland and the Deepings Parliamentary Constituency is due to take place between 1 October 2018 and 31 January 2020. Consultation on the proposals for future polling districts, places and stations will commence on 29 July 2019 and will conclude on 4 October 2019.
Representations on the Returning Officer's proposals are open for public inspection and will be taken into account when the final report is prepared for resolution by the Council at its meeting on 27 November 2019.
During the review, representations and feedback will be sought from:
- The Returning Officer
- Members of Parliament (Local and European)
- South Holland District Councillors
- Lincolnshire County Councillors
- Parish Councils (via Parish Clerks) and
- Political Parties (who have fielded candidates at recent local elections)
Comments are also invited from:
- Electors within the South Holland District area and
- Disability and Access Groups and persons/organisations with expertise in relation to access for disabled persons.
What the Review Covers
The review requires the Council to:
- seek to ensure that all electors have reasonable facilities for voting as is practicable in the circumstances
- seek to ensure that so far as is reasonable and practicable, every polling place is accessible to electors who are disabled, and when considering the designation of a polling place, must have regard to the accessibility needs of disabled persons.
What is not covered by the Review
The following matters are not considered as part of the review:
- The changing of any District Ward boundaries (which can only be done by statue following an electoral review carried out by the Local Government Boundary Commission). This type of review is concerned only with the administrative subdivision of the wards into Polling Districts which are then assigned Polling Places:
- The changing of Polling Districts in areas that are also aligned with Parish boundaries and therefore cannot be amended during this review (these can only be amended during a Community Governance Review)
Explanation of terms used in the review
- A 'polling district' is a geographical subdivision of an electoral area such as a County Division or a District Ward within which a polling place is designated.
- A 'polling place' is an area or building in which a polling station is usually located and can be a complete polling district.
- Polling Districts can be created as an electoral requirement but also as a means to provide a more conveniently located polling station for the electorate.
Documents available from the 2014 review: