Toggle menu

Discretionary Housing Financial Assistance

Discretionary Housing Financial Assistance (DHFA) may be given to help people live safely and independently in their homes where their needs cannot be met through a mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant.

Councils are under no obligation to award Discretionary Housing Financial Assistance, however, subject to the availability of funding, Local Housing Authorities may award assistance on a case-by-case basis.

Assistance may include:

  • helping an applicant to move to a suitable home (relocation)
  • topping up mandatory
  • helping reduce delayed transfers of care (DTOC), e.g. priority works needed to facilitate hospital discharge
  • helping people stay safe, warm and well
  • provide aids and adaptations for people with specific conditions e.g. dementia, learning disabilities, neurodiversity and sensory impairments
  • assisting with an applicant's contribution to a mandatory grant

Applications for assistance can be made by both owner-occupiers and tenants.

Depending on financial circumstances applicants may need to make a contribution towards the cost of the required works. This includes applications relating to disabled facilities for children.

Discretionary housing financial assistance can only be applied for once in each financial year, unless exceptional circumstances can be evidenced to the satisfaction of the Council.

Applications must be supported in writing by one of the following:

  • Occupational Therapist or Community Care Officer
  • GP or medical professional e.g. Practice Nurse
  • Local Authority Officer e.g. Housing or Environmental Health Officer, Wellbeing Lincs
  • Professional  from another appropriate organisation

Full details of our Discretionary Housing Financial Assistance Policy can be found in the Lincolnshire Discretionary Housing Financial Assistance Policy & Explanatory Notes (PDF) [643KB] .

For further information or to request an application form, you can contact us: