Trees in Conservation Areas

Many trees in the District are protected either by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) or by them being located in a designated Conservation Area.


What is a Conservation Area and what are the restrictions?

Conservation Areas are parts of towns and villages that have been identified as being of special architectural or historic interest. The Council aims to preserve or enhance the character of these areas.

Trees are included as part of the definition of character. Accordingly all trees with a trunk diameter of 75mm or greater measured 1.5m above the ground, carry the same protection and penalties that they would have if they were covered by a Tree Preservation Order.

Should you wish to carry out work to any trees in a Conservation Area, you are required to give the Council six weeks notice of your intentions and the reasons for them. The Council reserves the six week period in which to make a Tree Preservation Order if it wishes to retain the tree, or declare that it has no objections. If no TPO is forthcoming, work may proceed henceforth.

How do I found out if I live in a conservation area?

To find out whether your property is in a Conservation Area you can use our Public Web Map. The Conservation Areas layer can be found under the 'Planning and Conservation' section. The layer can only be viewed when zoomed in to a certain point so please your address first.

How do I submit a six week notification to the Council?

Applications can be made online via the Planning Portal - 'Tree works: Trees in conservation areas/subject to TPOs' should be selected as the Application Type.

Alternatively, you can download a blank form and send the completed form to the Council at 

Guidance on completing the form can be viewed by clicking here.

At some point in the process the tree(s) in question will need to be inspected by an officer from our department. If you would find it useful to have a site visit and advice prior to submitting a notification, please contact our Trees and Nature Conservation Officer at or on 01775 764483.

You may apply yourself, or you may like to ask a reputable tree contractor/tree surgeon to apply your behalf. 

How much does the notification cost?

Submitting a 6 week notification to the Council is free of charge.

What are the penalties associated with unauthorised works to trees in conservation areas?

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to trees in conservation areas without having submitted a 6 week advanced notification to the Council. The penalties associated with these offences are the same as those for trees subject of a tree preservation order