Expanded Retail discount
The Expanded Retail Discount available for eligible properties from 1 April 2020 has been extended into the 2021/22 financial year as follows:
- 100% for the period 1st April 2021 to 30th June 2021; followed by
- 66% for the period 1st July 2021 to 31st March 2022, with a maximum discount of:
- £2 million for business that were required to close on 5th January 2021; or
- £105,000 for business that were permitted to remain open at 5th January 2021.
Properties that will benefit from the retail discount will be occupied business properties that are wholly or mainly being used as:
- as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues,
- for assembly and leisure; or
- as hotels, guest & boarding premises and self-catering accommodation.
The following businesses for the purposes of this scheme are not considered retail and will not qualify:
- Financial services (such as banks, building societies, cash points, bureau de change, short-term loan providers)
- Medical services (such as vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- Professional services (such as solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers)
- Post office sorting offices.
Eligibility for this relief will be determined in line with the Government's Expanded Retail Guidance to Local Authorities. Visit: Expanded Retail Discount guidance 2021-22
Initially at the start of the 2021/22 financial year, the Council will be issuing demands to eligible businesses to show the effect of the 100% discount up to 30 June 2021, which means nothing to pay until then. After which revised demand notices will be issued to reflect the reduced discount of 66% (capped to a maximum of £2 million for businesses that were required to close 5 January 2021 & £105,000 for those businesses that were permitted to remain open at 5 January 2021) which applies between 1 July 2021 and 31 March 2022.
The Council has assumed that all businesses that qualify for the discount will want to benefit from it. However, if you do not wish to receive this discount, please contact us and we will arrange to have it removed from your account.