Toggle menu

Test and Trace support payment

Last updated 16 August 2021

We are currently experiencing high demand for Test & Trace Support and are doing all we can to, but please be aware that applications will take longer than usual to process. If you need any further support to stay at home please call Lincolnshire COVID helpline on 01522 782189 or visit

Ensuring infected individuals and their close contacts isolate is one of our most powerful tools for controlling the spread of coronavirus. Self-isolating helps prevent your family, friends and community from catching the virus, as well as helping to protect the health and care system.

Test and Trace Support Payment

  • The government has introduced a new grant to support people in work on low incomes to self-isolate
  • You may be able to claim a £500 lump sum payment if you cannot work from home and are required to self-isolate
  • This payment aims to help make up for any lost income people may face due to having to stay at home
  • You have 42 days from the first day of your isolation period to make your claim

Who is eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment

To be eligible for the £500 support payment, you must meet all of the following:

  • Have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or via the NHS COVID-19 App either because you have tested positive for COVID or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive; From the 16th August 2021 those who are fully vaccinated will not be required to self isolate if the have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, if you are applying as a close contact and have been fully vaccinated you might not qualify for this payment.
  • You comply with the notification to self-isolate;
  • You are employed or self-employed;
  • You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  • You are currently receiving one of the following:
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit

Can I apply if I'm not in receipt of one of the listed benefits?

If you meet all eligibility other than being in receipt of benefits, have less than £2000 in savings and will face financial hardship as a result of self-isolating, you can still apply for a discretionary payment.

Can I apply if I have lost income taking time off work to care for a child who is self-isolating?

From 8 March 2021, parents or guardians who are not legally required to self-isolate can apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment if they need to take time off work to care for a child or young person who is. The child or young person must be aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)) and have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by their education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID. From the 16 August 2021 under 18's will not be required to self isolate if they are close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid, if you are applying after this date you might not be eligible for payment.

Am I eligible to apply if I self-isolating whilst I am furloughed?

You will not be eligible for the Test & Trace support payment if your loss of income is only due to furlough. If you are on part time furlough and will still lose income as a result of self-isolation you can still apply.

What will I need to apply?

  • Your 8-digit NHS Test and Trace Account ID (from your notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate).
  • Your National Insurance Number.
  • Your bank account details.
  • A copy of your latest bank account statement (one issued within the last two months) which must show proof of earnings.
  • If you are employed: proof of your employment and earnings (such as payslips, your contract of employment or confirmation from your employer) and proof of reduction in earnings for your self-isolation period (for example, a letter from your employer).
  • If you are self-employed: proof of self-employment. For example, your most recent set of accounts or self-assessment returns and your most recent business bank account statements (within the last two months).
  • If you are a parent or guardian of a child or young person told to self-isolate: the child or young person's 8-digit NHS Test and Trace. Account ID or a communication from the child or young person's education or childcare setting confirming that they have to self-isolate.

Can I apply if I've got a notification to self-isolate from the APP? 

Yes, but first you will need to register with NHS Test & Trace by following a link in the APPYou must do this whilst you in your isolation period. If you are struggling with the APP, take a look at the NHS guidance video or call NHS 119.


Apply for Test and Trace support payment

Applications can be made on behalf of someone else, however the £500 payment must be paid into a bank account in the name of the person in which the application is being made.

If you have any questions about the Test and Trace support payment, please read our frequently asked questions.

Find out more about the Government's new package to enforce and support self-isolation.

If you need any further support to stay at home safely, you can request help by calling Lincolnshire Coronavirus helpline on 01522 782189.