Types of Council Tax discount

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for a Council Tax discount. 

If you live alone, you should apply for a single person discount.

If you have an unoccupied property, please visit on of the following pages:

Certain people won't be counted when looking at the number of adults living in a property, such as:

•     People being cared for in nursing or residential homes
•     Patients resident in hospital
•     People who are severely mentally impaired
•     Full time students and apprentices
•     18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
•     Care workers for local authorities or charities, on low pay, providing care for resident person
•     People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
•     Members of religious communities
•     People in prison
•     People staying in night shelters or hostels
•     Members of visiting forces
•     People who are diplomats
•     People over 18 still receiving child benefit.

There is a 25 percent discount if only one person is counted and 50 percent if none are counted. 

Apply for a Council Tax discount

We offer a range of Council Tax discount options, but if you're unsure of your eligibility or if you can't find the application form you need, please contact us at counciltax@sholland.gov.uk or by calling 01775 761161, selecting 'Council Tax' and hold to speak with an advisor.

Change in circumstances

If you qualify for a Council Tax discount, you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it, or if you move home. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change.


How is my information used?