Care - receiving & providing
If you have to move out of your home to receive care or you provide care for somebody, there may be a reduction.
If you receive care
- Exempt Class E: Unoccupied property as the person responsible for Council Tax is now living in a hospital, residential care home or nursing home. Does not apply for respite care. Property can be furnished and exemption will continue until property sold, let or reoccupied. Contact office to discuss, providing details of the care home.
- Exempt Class I: Unoccupied property as the occupier has gone to live elsewhere to receive personal care. Contact office to discuss, if we think you may qualify, confirmation will be required in writing.
If you provide care
- Discount: If you live with someone who you provide care for (not spouse, partner or child) and that person gets a qualifying benefit, there may be a reduction. Read and complete the .
- Exempt Class J: Unoccupied property as the occupier has gone to live elsewhere to provide personal care. Contact office to discuss, if we think you may qualify, confirmation will be required in writing.
- Owners of residential care/nursing homes: If the home is only occupied by residents and no staff, there will be a 50 per cent discount. Contact the office to discuss.
If you qualify for a Council Tax reduction you must tell us within 21 days if there is a change that might affect it. We can impose a £70 penalty if you do not tell us about a change. Contact us on 01775 761161.