Moving Property

SHDC facilitate two types of moves for our tenants. These are: Mutual Exchange and Transfer

Mutual Exchange

House Exchange is a web based scheme to help our tenants find people who want to swap homes with them.

House Exchange LogoHouse Exchange is quick, easy and free for our residents.

The House Exchange website will try to match you with other households wherever you're looking to move to. You will be able to search for homes either locally or anywhere in the UK, so whatever your reason for moving, begin your search today by registering here: House Exchange

House Exchange also has a presence online through a range of social media sites to further help your chances of finding a move. You can even share your property advert on their social media pages at Twitter and Facebook.

Once you find your exchange partner(s) and you have both agreed you would like to swap homes with each other, all parties must also gain approval from their own landlords. At this point you will need to request a mutual exchange application form found here:  Icon for pdf Mutual Exchange Form [64.94KB]

Once this is returned to your Housing Officer the formal process will begin. To be approved on the site you must hold a secure tenancy and have a clear rent account.


This is where you may have a need to be rehoused, normally due to a change in circumstances. You may be eligible for a transfer on various grounds including:

  • Over occupying a property
  • Under occupying a property
  • Medical grounds

If you believe that you meet the criteria for a transfer please speak to your Housing Officer or email: