Toggle menu

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

We would really like to hear from all residents who are facing maintenance and repair issues within their homes.  Take part in the Lincolnshire Good Home Alliance Survey


Help getting around your home

Lincolnshire County Council Social Services can help with assessing your needs in order for you to remain in your home. Please contact them on 01522 782155.  Their office hours are Monday to Friday from 8am until 6pm.

The assessment may include an Occupational Therapist visiting your home.  Click the link for further details Lincolnshire County Council Occupational Therapy 

Obam stairlift

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)                                

Occupational Therapist recommendations for works can include:

  • Widening doors
  • Installing ramps 
  • Installing stair lifts
  • Installing level access showers

You can apply for a DFG if you are:

  • An owner occupier
  • A tenant occupier 
  • A landlord (on behalf of a disabled tenant)
  • An occupier of a house boat or a park home static caravan

What happens next?

Upon receipt of your Occupational Therapist recommendation:

  • We will send you an application form to complete and return (including a financial means testing form).
  • On receipt of all requested documentation, we will check your grant eligibility and notify you within 14 days whether you have been successful.
  • Successful applications are forwarded to either our Building Consultancy Surveyor or a relevant contractor for a survey to be completed on your home.
  • Plans are submitted for the works and forwarded to our Planning Department if planning permission is required.
  • When plans are agreed, contractors are appointed and dates will be confirmed as to when works can commence.
  • All payments are made direct to the contractor (either by the Council or by you if a contribution is required*)

All works must be completed within 12 months of the approved grant application.

Financial means testing

DFGs are awarded through financial means testing. This is where we look at the income, assets and savings of the disabled person, their spouse or partner. 

*Please note, depending on your circumstances, you may need to contribute toward the cost of any works that are not covered by the grant. This payment is made directly to the contractor. 

If the DFG is for a child under 19, and you receive Child Benefit for that child, you will not need to make any contribution.

If you receive one of the following benefits, you may qualify for full grant funding for any approved adaptive works:

  • Income related Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income related Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income Support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit, with an annual income of less than £15,050
  • Universal Credit
  • Council Tax Support

Specific military related benefits (including but not exclusively):

  • AFCS Lump Sum Tariff levels 1-8
  • Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) Tariff levels 1-8
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • WPS Lump Sum
  • WPS Pension


The maximum amount of grant that we could award is £30,000, including any relevant professional fees. You will only receive as much as is necessary to adapt your home to your needs.

You can visit our Disabled Facilities Grant Means Test Calculator page to calculate whether or not you will be required to make a contribution and if so, an estimate of how much.


Charges on properties

Successful owner occupier applications for a Disabled Facilities Grant will have a Local Land Charge applied to the adapted property if the amount of the grant exceeds £5,000 (maximum charge we can claim is £10,000).  This charge only applies if the property is sold or disposed of within 10 years of the certified date.



The applicant becomes the owner of equipment installed under a DFG and is therefore responsible for maintenance and repairs beyond the 12 month warranty usually provided by the contractor/manufacturer.  The manufacturer is responsible for servicing equipment whilst under warranty. Warranty period and servicing by manufacturers vary; please refer to the manufacturer for full details.  Where available, applicants can consider purchasing extended warranties for equipment and can discuss this with the manufacturer independently.  Grants do not cover extended warranties.

On completion of works, you will be asked to complete a certificate to confirm that you are satisfied that the works have been completed in accordance with the agreed recommendations.  The quality of work remains a contractual matter between you and your builder and any concerns that you may have must be discussed directly with your contractor.  Repairs which are not wear and tear must be reported to the contractor within 12 months of completion of the work; after that period any repairs are the responsibility of the owner.


Recycling equipment

If within five years you do not need the adaptation for whatever reason, you or your representatives are obliged to inform us; this is because we may wish to remove the equipment if practical (eg ramp, stair-lift etc) for it to benefit another household.


Free mobility aids

E.ON Homes for Living team have a range of mobility aids on offer to support independent living, giving people the equipment to feel mobile and confident at home. From bathroom aids to garden rails, equipment is free to those who are eligible.

You do not need to be an E.ON customer to apply. Eligibility is based on household income and receipt of certain benefits by someone living in the property. If you are interested please click the Eon Homes for Living link for further information and to apply.