Understanding Housing Needs

To ensure that the right level of housing is developed in the right locations the Strategic Housing Team undertakes regular research.

The South East Lincolnshire Local Plan website contains a lot of useful information and details all of the evidence available to the council to determine where new housing should be built, and the quantity, tenure and type of this new housing.

The key studies for understanding housing needs are detailed below:

Icon for pdf Strategic Housing Market Update [1.75MB]

These assessments focus on the Peterborough sub-regional housing market area including Peterborough, Rutland, South Holland and South Kesteven. They consider the future need for housing in the area up to 2036; with how many homes are needed, what types of homes- both market and affordable; as well as what housing is needed to meet the needs of specific groups within the population, including older people and those with disabilities.

For South Holland the assessment concludes that there is a need for:

  • An additional 445 new dwellings each year, 63% (282) of which should be affordable to meet local housing needs.

  • 85% of the affordable housing provided should be for rent, with the remaining 15% delivered as low cost housing to purchase.

  • Of the market housing delivered 0-5% should be provided as 1 beds, 30-35% as 2 beds, 45-50% as 3 beds and 15-20% as 4+ beds.

  • Of the affordable housing delivered 20-25% should be provided as 1 beds, 35-40% as 2 beds, 30-35% as 3 beds and 5-10% as 4+ beds.

  • Around 10% of new supply (42 homes) should be delivered as specialist units, including extra care housing to meet the needs of an ageing population in the district.

Icon for pdf Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment [1.71MB]

This assessment was undertaken in conjunction with Boston Borough Council. The assessment combined a data review with surveys and consultation and concluded that an additional 4 pitches for Gypsy and Traveller use was needed in the South Holland district up to 2036.